Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2011

ch 17 & 18

I found the chapters to be continually informative and entertaining.  Being that Veterans day was not too long ago I found the Fallen Heros project from chapter 17 to be of interest.  I liked the way it is both educational for the students and it can serve as a service project for the community as well.  Being patriotic and thankfull for those who protect our freedoms we take for granted.  I feel many students in the younger generation do no fully understand or appreciate what they have.  This project is a great way to show them the cost of freedom and why they should be thankfull that they do not have to fight to defend the country because someone else is.
I also liked the rights of child labor project from chapter 18.  Child labor wasn't terrible when I was growing up and I feel my parents bribed us more than demanded we do something.  Me and my brothers milked cows, picked rock, bailed hay, shoveled waste, and did all sorts of things before and after the school day.  We were payed a couple bucks an hour and we didn't mind.  Thinking about it, should we have been participating in the joyfulness of our youth, probably, but the work had to be done and I would rather do it rather than have my mother or father do it.  Child labor to me is more like families sending their children to factories rather than schools to provide for the family.  I think the collage is a great idea, but it seemed too easy.

1 comment:

  1. I think you make a good point that students aren't aware of the injustices that children suffer here and throughout other countries. I think they are also not aware of how much veterans of war sacrifice for our country. It could be a lesson on gratitude instead.

    ReplyDelete